Tuesday, February 21, 2012

DIY Terrarium

terrarium
I was going to get a newly renovated office space and thought that it would be good to have some greenery at my cubicle.  With dry air-conditioned air, and periods when I could be away from office for days, I wanted something that would not require much care and could still survive.  Thus, the idea of having a terrarium popped up.

Trusty Google brought up many pretty terrariums, some were even for sale locally.  I was really tempted to buy a cute little Angry Bird Terrarium, but decided against it because of the cost.  So I got down to sourcing for cheap materials for my DIY terrarium.  Here's the breakdown of the cost:

used glass bottles: free
small stones for drainage: S$2
small blue gravel for decoration: S$2
soil: S$2
activated charcoal: $2.5
plastic netting to separate soil from drainage stones: S$2
plant: S$4

After completing the 2 terrariums above, I still had half a pack of blue gravel, more than 2/3 pack of soil, 1 small pack of activated charcoal, 2 and a half pieces of plastic netting, 3/4 of the potted plant enjoying the sun outdoors.  Hmmmm..... I should start looking for a bigger, prettier glass container to make more terrariums ;)

1 comment:

  1. beautifully present and nice way to save. Thanks for visiting my blog and lovely comment. I'm ur new follower and please follow me.

    ReplyDelete