Friday, April 15, 2011

Project Cushion Covers

As mentioned in an earlier post, I received a request to turn old sofa covers into cushion covers -- as many as possible!  The cushion insert was from Ikea and measured 14" x 14".  I don't know why I did what I did, but I took one of the two sofa covers and decided to unpick the thread to see if I could maximise the cloth.  On hindsight, how much difference will it make??  Duh....

Anyway, after all that unpicking, I ironed it out nicely before cutting..... something I seldom bother to do in my own projects :p *Snip snip snip*

Paranoid...... measure again to make sure it's alright.  Yeah, I have enough cloth to make 5 cushion covers!!

I don't have a serger, so here goes the tedious work of hemming in all the raw edges. *iron iron iron* *sew sew sew*

With the experience gain from sewing my own cushion covers with hidden zippers, this batch wasn't as frustrating.  Here's the final product:


  1. Dunno why but I don't think I'm particularly good at making cushion covers. Somehow, I made it a tad too big!

  2. I read a tip from a website: mark out the sewing line on the cloth and follow that line so that the size is more precise